How do you actually use the engine?

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM

So, how do I actually use the engine to make a 3D game?

I have been virtually unable to find even a single tutorial, resource, proper documentation or example that would point me in the right direction. Honestly, is it this hard to as much as explain how the engine is actually used?

I'm looking for something with the following features:

- First person camera

- WSAD Movement, Mouse looking, Space jumping

- Floor / Object collision with models that I import and add to the scene, so I can walk around my world (and not be able to walk through walls etc), and be able to jump on top of boxes etc.

These are the absolute basics that every decent Engine that markets itself as a Game Engine should have, where would I access this functionality in Ox? If it doesn't have input handling pre-coded for me, I might as well just scrap it and use XNA itself, since I have to add everything I need either way.

Editor
Mar 28, 2010 at 12:29 AM
Edited Mar 28, 2010 at 12:38 AM

hey i know why doesnt someone make a game engine where you just press one button and your dream game comes out the other side?

you have to be prepared to make the engine work for you, there are a few tutorials on this forum, but its not going to be as easy as torque or anything like that.

ox does have all of this functionality by the way. and erm.... its done by one guy.... and its free....... so go use FPS creator or something.

-bubzy

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:40 AM
Edited Mar 28, 2010 at 12:56 AM

That's not the point. The point is that there's absolutely no guide written anywhere on how to actually get started making the game itself.

No guide on how to even handle the camera, if it has such a thing implemented.

As far as I can tell all this engine does is allows me to manage individual entities as components and subcomponents.

The only resource I could find whatsoever that attempts to explain how to use the engine is now a 404. I'll see if I can pull it off internetarchive.

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Lorknirn,

You are correct that Ox needs more documentation. But that is generally the nature of open source projects; there's never enough resources to make things as easy as they should be. If you want to become an effective user of open source software, you must be willing to become a participant in its development. That's kind of how open source works; it's a community thing. Otherwise, you'll need to look at commercial software products.

cheers!

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:07 AM
Edited Mar 28, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Well, could you at least point me in the right direction? Which classes should I be using to implement a basic first person-style camera? How do I access Ox's camera? What about lighting, shadows, collision detection etc.?

The only reason I am using Ox is for the model handling/animation and lighting. Everything else I can and have done before using XNA, but I've never made anything that uses more than one light, and I've always had to define my primitives by hand, but there's simply no engine available that handles these two basic tasks on a large scale without me having to code every single light by hand.

If I could get those two features of Ox working with my own level loading / game handling / AI code / physics, I would be very happy.

Edit: Nevermind , I have just discovered MOGRE, which is a managed wrapper for OGRE. This will be 1000x better for my needs than an XNA Game Engine, since I can make the game engine myself, just not the graphics engine.