Compile issues from SVN source under Visual Studio Express

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:47 AM

Good Evening,
I've downloaded the Ox Engine and have been impressed so far by it, and I'm looking to use it to build several games over the coming year. After running through the documented examples on how to use the engine and the associated editors, my new task is to customise the GUI (initially using the theme in the GameStateManagement resource on XNA Creators website).

Browsing through previous threads I read that the way to do this is to either use IGuiSkinGroups for individual items, or to create a new GuiViewFactory and override the DefaultGameEngine class with a custom version. I'm thinking about doing the latter, and then perhaps extending the GUI editor to support this (if it makes sense to do so).

Towards this end I've checked out the Ox engine source code, but have hit a few errors while attempting to build and run under Visual Studio Express 2008. Essentially the initial build fails as the app.config file is missing from GuiDemo, GameDemo and PhysicsDemo projects. Adding the version of app.config from the GeneralEditor project "fixes" that error, but I am not sure if I'm just masking an underlying problem. It also appears that the XBox versions of these projects suffer from the same issue, but at this time I have no XBox to compile against so haven't been.

Once those errors are corrected, a new error occurs in the PhysicsDemo.cs file. The specific error is:
Property or indexer 'Ox.Engine.CameraNamespace.Camera.Position' cannot be assigned to -- it is read only

So not a huge issue to what I am currently attempting to do, but the compiler is right - there is no setter method :)

Cheers,
Gavin

Coordinator
Apr 8, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Hi Gavin!

I'll see about fixing these problems this weekend - no time just right now sadly :/

- b