Problem with material of models

May 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM
Edited May 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Hello guys !! I can't load material of models. When I load a model in maya it is draw with good colors but not with Ox. I have try with basicmodel and standarmodel but nothing. There is one difference, basicmodel draw my model in grey and standardmodel in black. PS: I can load textures but not material Help me pleaze !!!! =) PS: I can't return at line it's very ugly sorry !
May 6, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Nobody can help me please?

=)

May 7, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Yeah, I had this i think.

Try a different exporter.

Sound like a problem with the FBX If I recall correctly (this was a year ago)

Mess around with all the exporter settings was what I did. This is not a problem in OX if I am correct, you are passing it dodgy data.

Try a REALLY simple model, one material, and mess with the settings, that's how I fixed that.

Hope that helps.

Editor
May 8, 2010 at 6:30 AM

i use a free model editor and a free uv mapper, its not simple but if ur into your 3d you can find it out. i export my models as .x files using softimage modtool then import them into lithunwrap for skinning. never really had a tremendous amount of luck with materials. but thats probably because i suck at 3d :D

May 10, 2010 at 9:10 AM

I've been down this path just recently too.  I was trying to get free models from Turbo Squid and tried various apps that could convert the models.  All of them produced completely black models.  As bubzy said the solution was to add a UV map.  I only wanted a basic cylinder to start with so I ended up making my own in model and uv map in blender.

Here's some links that may be useful...

DelEd - A free app that can export .x.  Pretty basic but works.  http://www.delgine.com/

And a couple of tutorials about unwrapping and UV mapping in blender...

http://www.switchonthecode.com/tutorials/blender-tutorial-basic-uv-mapping

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/art/features/blender1/page2.asp

Unfortunately blender has a learning curve from hell, and beware that some of the keys etc have changed some those tutorials were written.  I had to hunt around the net a bit to understand the differences.  Not sure what I'm really gonna do about models for the final product cause unfortunately I suck at 3D too and it consumes soooo much time screwing around trying to find and convert models, or trying to learn one of these crazy complex modelling apps.

May 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM

it's work, deled export mymaterials thx !!!

May 15, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Yep, most of the pain in this area I had around the actual creation, export, import and animation of materials and models.

Ox was a dream to use compared to the exporters I was using. Fortunately that was a year ago and things have moved on.

I hope it spells the end of material-based frustration for you.

(now...  at this point in my project I just needed to embed the various animations in there somewhere... but that is another story ;)

I'm really glad you got it sorted.

May 17, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Might seem an obvious question, but have you added lighrs in Ox? Usually to see the material properly, I need an ambient light and a directional or point light.