Pointlight problem

May 10, 2010 at 6:21 AM

Hello all,

A couple days ago I created a thread about some fog problem I had. That problem has been solved and the fog works correctly now but I seem to have a similar problem with the point light. When placing a pointlight in the center of the scene the light works correctly but the further a pointlight is placed from the center the more the light gets dimmed and at a certain distance any placed pointlight will simply not produce light.

I'm currently using revision 420 but will update to the latest revision as soon as I can find time for it.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can point me into the right direction for solving this problem.

Jelle

May 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Unfortunately I don't have any answers this time, but I wanted to chime in and say I've seen this exact same problem also.  I had point lights lighting a mesh I created manually at runtime so I thought it mighta been something I was doing wrong when creating the vertices, but I'm somewhat glad to hear it is happening elsewhere.  It seems like the light is actually loosing focus, so at the origin it projects a fairly definitive circle of light on the surface and as you move further away it becomes more diffused (spread out/less focused).  I could probably put together a demo with a movable light source over a large flat grid surface to show the problem, if that would help in finding a solution.

Coordinator
May 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Hey guys,

I'm going to look into this today. Should be relatively easy to solve.

cheers!

Coordinator
May 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Hey guys,

I investigated by moving a point light around the game demo scene and found nothing amiss. Perhaps you're seeing the fog thicken as you zoom out from your scene and mistaking that with a lighting problem?

cheers!

May 11, 2010 at 1:39 AM

When the camera is at the "end of the scene" (e.g.: the side of the default terrain) facing a pointlight placed right in front of the camera it doesn't give any light at all. Since there is no fog at all close to the camera it's most likely not a fog problem. Repositioning the same pointlight to the center of the scene makes the pointlight work.

Editor
May 11, 2010 at 6:10 AM

i've managed to replicate this error by creating multiple pointlights in a scene. doesn't seem to be a problem with the number of lights, just seems random. don't have much time to try anything else this morning. if someone can post a way of doing this everytime, it would be helpful. however on the other side. i did get some point lights working at the extremities. just seems random as to whether the light is producing light or not.

bryan. if you create a pointlight in the scene editor and drag it around, you may find that at certain locations it "turns off". maybe that is relevant.

off to work now

-bubzy

May 11, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I had a go at reproducing this in an app as I described earlier, but unfortunately I'm not seeing the problem at all now.  I'll try again when I have more time.  FYI I'm using Ox 420 atm also (my manually compiled version with the JigLibX fix I added).