New beginner tutorial series

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2010 at 3:19 PM
Hey, I just wanted to post to say that I'm working on a new beginner tutorial series which will be written as I learn how to use Ox. The first instalment is up, and it goes over the basics of what Ox is, where to get it, how to create a project with it and the basic structure of Ox code files. As I mention in the tutorial, I've only been programming for just under 4 years now, with around a years experience with C#, so I know I'm not going to be 100% correct, and if anyone does spot a mistake just say what it is and I'll amend it. It is currently available here:

http://xna.thermalsoarer.com/articles/ox1.htm

I'm hoping to get part 2 started later this week. I'm planning on having it cover making a basic menu system and loading a basic scene (very much based upon what is in the docs provided with the engine ;) ), and then go into loading custom models in the scene editor at the end. The first part I can do fine, however I'm having a little trouble with the second part, which is why I haven't started the second tutorial yet.

The problem isn't creating .xnb files, and I can load them when placed in the editors base directory. The problem comes from loading them from my game's source folder as it gives me a "can't find file" error every time. I saw a fix in another discussion here, but that was for an older version and the file referred to (OxConsts.xml) doesn't appear anywhere on my PC. I'm going to keep playing around, see what I can find, but if anyone has any suggestions then hopefully I can get it working and get going on the second tutorial.
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Good work and thank you!

BTW, Configuration/OxConsts.xml simply got renamed to Configuration/Ox.xml. Make the changes there and it should work fine.

And remember, to become knowledgeable of Ox, you've got to read the source in addition to the documentation.

Hope too see more tuts in the future!

cheers!

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:28 PM
Great, I've got it working now. I'll get started on the next tutorial soon. I'll also make sure to download the source and try and understand it.
Jun 10, 2010 at 4:38 PM
Edited Jun 10, 2010 at 4:40 PM

OK, part 2 is up now.  I want to apologise in advance for the poor code formatting in the web version as my site is pure XHTML/CSS with everything hand-coded (something I really regretted when formatting all the code colours!) so I haven't put indentations in.  The PDF version is fine, so if you prefer seeing code properly indented then grab that instead.

xna.thermalsoarer.com/articles/ox2.htm

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:11 AM

I'm just starting out with XNA and this promising Ox engine and I would like to say a big thank you for beginner tutorials. They are very straight forward and easy to follow, and they saved me a lot of time trying to figure this out on my own in my limited time after work. Once again, thank you and I'm looking forward to part 3.

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Good work again, Thermal!

One correction, though. The Gui is never referred to as a type of 'scene'. The Gui is just the Gui. Can you tell me what led you to think of the Gui as a 'scene'?

cheers!

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM
Edited Jun 21, 2010 at 12:00 PM
I'm not really sure what led me to calling the Gui a scene. I guess I wasn't as familiar with the engine as I thought. I'll work on amending it today.

edit: updated the tutorial now.