Animation and Ragdoll

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:46 PM
I have a couple questions. I figured out how to use collision detection. But how do you rig a model to use the XJigLibs physics ragdoll? I've looked on it's form and it has a (pending) tutorial which is empty and doesn't help me out much. Also if my model walks up to an object and picks it up how do you rig an item up so it is being held to your model. I have 2 ideas, one being that the item in question is modeled and animated in the same sequence as the model in question. Or option 2 which is a better idea. Having the model be able to pick up the separate model and have it move with the model during animation time. If anyone has examples of this that would be wonderful since most tutorials I've found don't have this information and it's been taking me a lot of time trying to figure it out with no positive outcomes. Thanks,
Editor
Aug 17, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Hi,

pretty sure both of these subjects have been covered on this forum about 6 months ago, worth having a trawl through the old posts. i would imagine that you have to set up each part of the mesh, depending on how mush of it you want to collide, and make a collision skin for your entire mesh.  Someone did spend a long time setting up the models holding items correctly cant remember who did it though. could be worth having a look at the example code on the microsoft xna website too, theres something there about mounting objects on models.

i see you worked out collison detection without my little program too :D nice work.

-bubzy.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Hey bubzy,

Your tutorial/file helped a lot. I'm still having some issues with my collision testing but not sure where the problem lays. I'm just using simple walls right now to see if the model hits them to hit my breakpoint but no luck. is there a way to print out debug information? I'm just wondering why my collison event is not being called.

As for the ragdoll I can't find any examples using the search feature. I'm still just trying to figure out the basics of 3d programming so it has been a huge struggle to find good documentation on common functionality.

Editor
Aug 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM

you can email me your code if you like, ill have a quick look at it not that im any sort of expert, make the email as small as possible, (remove bin directory) rich@greymatterscomic.com

-bubzy