Help regarding OX GUI editor /Scene editor

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Hi !

I am new to XNA and found OX game engine , I have some issues regarding GUi editor and scene editor ,I havnt found any good tutorials on net ,like how to make game menus and your own scene using your models and sky-domes in these editor.All i hv found are these 2 basic tutorials which are not enough to understand all engine working.

http://xna.thermalsoarer.com/pdf/ox-tutorial-01.pdf

http://xna.thermalsoarer.com/articles/ox2.htm

So can you please help me with this .

1) how to design a game menu and Can i upload a image file in Ox Gui editor. Like if I want to use it as background in menu .

2) How to use your own .max or .fbx models in scene editor. 

Please do reply =)

Editor
Oct 1, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Hi,

you have come across the same situation that most people who use ox come up against, "how to get an image into or how to design my own gui" unfortunately the gui in ox doesn't cater for everyones needs and if you trawl this discussion board you will find that it is often the recommendation to expand the codebase to include your own gui code.  Personally i never worked out how to do this but if your coding skills are better than mine (which would be cake as i really suck at coding) you may have a chance, there is a small tutorial for the Gui editor included in the engine's documentation..

As for the scene editor, you have to let xna compile the models into xnb files and then move them into your scene editor's folder with the rest of the default models, you can then rename the modelfilename property to point to your model within the scene editors folder, its a little hacky but it works ok. 

I've lost my love for programming for a little while and am really out of the scene as ive started a project in electronics but if you need any more help here ill do my best to try and remember or perhaps even write a small program to explain what i mean about certain situations, ive just uploaded a small sample prog i wrote a while ago to demonstrate collision detection. its not pretty but it works, you need a game pad to play it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/422445716/Collidatron.zip

-Bubzy

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Its nice to see people using my tutorials.

Your first question I can't answer more then how to make a main menu screen as I haven't done enough with Ox to know how else to use the Gui Editor, and probably won't for a while as I'm just starting the next year in my CS degree.

As for your second one, as Bubzy says you need to first let XNA create the .xnb files from your models and then import them into the editor, as my second tutorial shows (near the end of it).

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM

There is a reasonable amount of documentation that installs with the engine. Try Start -> Programs -> Ox Game Engine -> Documentation.

Fortunately, the new engine I'm building makes stuff like this trivially easy. There were several issues in Ox that the new engine fixes.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:05 PM
bryanedds wrote:

There is a reasonable amount of documentation that installs with the engine. Try Start -> Programs -> Ox Game Engine -> Documentation.

Fortunately, the new engine I'm building makes stuff like this trivially easy. There were several issues in Ox that the new engine fixes.

I'm trying to start a new game project, does that mean that Ox is discontinued now, since you're making a new engine?

I also have a very stupid question, after updating a components attribute, is there a method I should call to update it on the screen?

Draw and Update can't seem to be modifying what I changed on the screen :x

Editor
Nov 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Hi,

there is no need to call a seperate update method to change something on screen. if you change the position of an object or the size, it is automatically updated by the engine.

perhaps there is a deeper issue with your problem, maybe you could post what you are trying to do and some code so that we can see what's going on :D

-bubzy

p.s yes development has stopped on ox.  development on the new engine is in progress but came up against a bit of a wall with a EULA disagreement, as far as i know its still underway

and if its going to be better than ox then it will be perfect(or as close as us mortals can percieve).

please don't hesitate to ask any more questions :D