Xi Game Engine Public and Open Source Again!

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Hey all!

Finally got Ox's rendering into Xi and re-released it as open source.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xigameengine/

It still needs further work like integrating physics into Terrain and Water, as well as testing the rendering.

Well, please help me do some testing by pulling down the repository and playing with the editor :)

cheers!

Editor
Dec 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM

hi bryan,

maybe its just because ive completely forgotten how to use c# but i cannot get this to run at all. i get a cannot find xieditor.exe error.

what am i doing wrong?

-bubzy

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2010 at 6:27 AM

heya,

I'll need more details as I don't understand what the problem is or how you're producing it.

cheers!

Editor
Dec 4, 2010 at 8:34 AM

ok :D

i open xi.sln

i right click "Solution 'Xi'" and build solution

i right click xieditor and set as startup project

i press the "start debugging" button

i get an error saying

"Visual Studio cannot start debugging because the debug target 'c:\users........\Trunk\Solution\XiEditor\bin\Release\XiEditor.exe' is missing.  Please build the project and retry, or set the OutputPath and AssemblyName properties appropriately to point at the correct location for the target assembly" (this also is the case if i build with debug instead of release)

the folder "c:\.........XiEditor\bin\Release\" actually only contains two files. one is XiEditor.vshost.exe and the other XiEditor.vshost.exe.manifest.

its probably something im doing wrong, but i cant work it out.

-bubzy

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Are you getting any errors when building the solution?

Editor
Dec 4, 2010 at 10:09 PM

none at all

Coordinator
Dec 5, 2010 at 2:12 AM

This may be some Visual Studio bug. However, I committed a possible fix, so try that. If it doesn't work, find out with a search in Windows Explorer where the XiEditor.exe file is being generated, then start the application manually and attach the debugger manually.

Editor
Dec 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM
Edited Dec 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM

ok its now compliling but im getting this

Could not load file or assembly 'Xi, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

sorry if this is my mistake but im not seeing what the problem is

Coordinator
Dec 5, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Looks like we ran into this old problem -

http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/4377.aspx

I didn't notice it since I'm still on an x86. I think it's now solved, so please try again :)

Editor
Dec 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM

great! working now, will play tomorrow bed time now.

-bubzy

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:38 PM
Edited Dec 8, 2010 at 7:40 PM

the worst bug is that, i cannot save my work to file(invalid input or somewhat) when i have water,terrain or skybox actor in my scene. the features of the xi are looking nice,  i would like to use it to make my first game (hack&slash). i'm using now ox, and the gui system is dissapointing me, but the rest is ok.

And... i can create water actor but i can't see, and i can set position but not the size (scale) of water. so is lack of code or is it a bug?

let the Force be with you!

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2010 at 2:45 AM

Hi yokozu!

Some more specific detail on the saving bug would be really great if you can find the time. Also, is your video card Shader 3.0 enabled?

As to the water not scaling, it's just a lack of simple code. Once my wrists heal, I'll try to put more time into these things.

cheers!

Editor
Dec 10, 2010 at 6:17 AM

the water is there but it appears as if its not being affected by the light. if you create a water actor and set its position to 0,150,0 and set the camera to 0,180,0 and point the camera down, you can see a black square, this is the water, ofc without scaling its just a small square.

as for the saving issues that yokozu experienced, i have no problem with saving so far.

i do however have an issue when creating an animated model "finalizer called. it appears you forgot to call dispose() blahblah......"

Xi\infrastructure\Disposable.cs(47)

Xi\infrastructure\Disposable.cs(17)

it loads the animated model, but still displays this error.

-bubzy

Coordinator
Dec 10, 2010 at 7:09 AM

I fixed the AnimatedModel bug.

The water is now scalable. Even though it uses ambient light, you'll need either directional or a point light to see the waves.

Let me know what other issues crop up please :)

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:40 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2010 at 11:41 PM

I cannot save my scene if there is something more than label. when i add some other actors and try to save it display error (my mother tongue is polish so i will try to translate: "invalid format of input string") and when i launch play in editor, after i click play again, everything except label is deleted! maybe is problem with xml parsing and some actors filenames,

i will try to find it by myself, and then post results of my work.

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2010 at 3:44 AM

I think I fixed the issue. It had to do with float serialization in non-US regions :)

Editor
Dec 12, 2010 at 12:14 AM

i cannot get the engine to start stand-alone. i have to run it from within Vstudio.

no errors, just "xieditor.exe has stopped working"

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2010 at 12:41 AM
Edited Dec 12, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Could you delete the 'Trunk\Solution\XiEditor\bin' folder, rebuild, then run the 'Solution\XiEditor\bin\x86\Debug\XiEditor.exe' program? Maybe you were accidentally running the old x64-incompatible version instead of the newer one since they end up in slightly different paths.

Editor
Dec 12, 2010 at 7:45 AM

ooooh. yes. thanks. i guess some bugs are bugs and some bugs are dummies pressing wrong buttons :p

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:31 PM
Edited Dec 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM
bryanedds wrote:

I think I fixed the issue. It had to do with float serialization in non-US regions :)

Fuck Yeah! Fixed! editor and actors are much better than that from ox. i like that the physic is integrated with editor. thats really awesome. 

Now, i can't see any big bugs but i see a lack of code everywhere, like actor scaling isn't present, actors are flying thru the terrain,FPS counter isn't displayed and so on. If you will end this, xi would be great. i'm sure.  

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Edited Dec 12, 2010 at 6:40 PM

awesome :)

yes, that's the primary reason Xi is still in preview version - a lot of code still needs to be written. I think I will get time to finish it and make a full alpha release during chiristmas break. Would you guys be available via IM to help me test it? Please e-mail me a bryanedds@yahoo.com with you IM if so :)

thanks!