Hi There!

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:54 PM
I just downloaded the source and compiled it.  Everything is looking nice so far.  You are doing an excellent job; keep up the good work and thank you!
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2008 at 8:11 PM
Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions on it :)
Aug 11, 2008 at 1:16 PM
I downloaded this a couple of days ago.  I must say everything looks very clean and organized.  Thanks for creating this!
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2008 at 3:23 PM
Thanks Adam! One of my goals is to write code for human eyes, not just a compiler's. If other people see my code as being clean (and hopefully elegant), then that makes me very happy :)
Aug 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM
Yeah, great stuff! I've been looking around for an opensource GE for XNA which was easy to understand and use and this is perfect. I tried ox out today and tried loading one of my skinned models, worked perfectly. He's standing next to your marine right now :) This will be perfect for my western RPG/strategy game which hopefully will be ready in about 10 years...

I two little problems though and would be happy if you could help me out.
1. My textures are affected by the underlying material color. I am too tired right now to figure out if the colorvalue is multiplied or what exactly is happening but perhaps you could help.
2. As I'm exporting from blender the whole right-hand-and-upside-down-y-axis is driving me crazy. As mentioned I've been sitting at the computer for a bit too long, what is the best approach to this? An ingame transformation at instantiation of a model or perhaps in blender?

/Mike
Aug 23, 2008 at 5:03 PM
Or maybe you don't use blender at all and have no idea :)
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2008 at 9:25 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2008 at 10:07 PM
Tengil,

I'm not real sure by what you mean "underlying material color". I know that ISkinnedModelComponent's DiffuseColor and SpecularColor properties might be affecting the color of your textures. Their value to defaults to Color.Gray. If anything, this might be darkening your texture color. I can't remember whether DiffuseColor should be White or Gray by default though... If the default DiffuseColor IS darkening your texture, then this is a bug that I can fix. So let me know if that's what is actually going on.

EDIT - Oh, and also, there are three lights in the CharacterDemo which should be affecting your model! There's the ambient light which is DarkGray, and one yellow directional light and one Red directional light. You'll see them defined in CharacterSim.cs.

As for the blender issue, I don't use it so I don't know much. From general principles, though, I'd suggest getting things oriented intuitively before exporting the model.

Thank you for your positive feedback too. It is inspiring to know people are finding Ox easy to use! :)
Aug 23, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Thx for speedy answer!
Heh yeah I just noticed the lightsources :) Part of my problem was the directional lightsources which made everything color up a bit strange. But I solved the coloring issue anyways. I just needed to set diffuse color to black and everything played nice. Got myself fooled by the skinnedmodel example where diffuse color doesn't seem to matter.

As for the blender issue, I just can't seem to get that right... I've been rotating along each axis and the model sometimes doesn't even line up parallell to the cartesian axae. I don't think this is an issue whith your engine though, I'm having trouble getting it right in other projects as well. If anyone else who has some experience exporting from blender to .fbx has some tips on this I'd be grateful for a reply.

And thx again Bryan for answering late outside of office hours :)
Aug 29, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Ok, I figured out what the problem with blender was so I'll post it in case someone else runs into the same issue. I think the problem was the root bone of the model was a bit off. When rotated it to be aligned with the axae everything played more nice.