Scene Editor crashes

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Hello, I grabbed the latest and compiled. The game and pysics demo both work release mode. The Scene Editor crashes on start with no error in both debug and release.
I run Vista 64 with XNA 3.0 and VS Express 2008.

Any ideas on what I could try?
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2009 at 6:03 PM
Hi Jim!

Sorry for the crash! I am figuring that you're running the program stand-alone by double-clicking the .exe file, right? If so, try running it from inside visual studio in debug mode. When it crashes in there, it should give you much more information about the actual problem. If you can get more info on the exception this way, please post it here. Copy and paste everything about the exception that you can, *including* all the inner exceptions if any.

The more I know, the quicker I can resolve this for you :)

Thanks for your report!
Jan 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM
I must be missing something basic.
It crashes when it tries to make a new SceneEditor because it can't find the assembly.

I don't have any errors and the References folder in SceneEditor look fine.

What am I doing wrong?
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM
I rather doubt it's something you've done wrong. I presume that it's some usage scenario I've overlooked. Either way, I'll need to know more information about the exception being thrown before I can fix the issue for you. Did you try running the program from Visual Studio with F5 in Debug Mode?
Jan 30, 2009 at 3:38 AM
I've also had such problems running my  program - VS sometimes does not copy compiled OX dll files into bin folder of the program. Check the dlls in bin folder of the editor. Are they present?
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 6:14 AM
Well, I tried some random stabs at reproduction (lol?), but I've not produced anything abnormal (lol??). I do know that Visual Studio Express can be wonky when building non-trivial solutions such as Ox. The VSPro version always does fine though. You wouldn't happen to be moving the SceneEditor.exe around would you? If so, you'll need to adjust the paths in xml files in the Configuration folder (can't remember which one(s) off the top of my head).

Anyways, we'll keep trying :)
Jan 30, 2009 at 6:16 AM
Hi Zulkar, thanks for the tip. There are a whole bunch of ox dlls in the bin folder of the scene editor folder. That part seems to be okay.

Sorry Bryan, I don't think I was clear enough. Yes I did run it in debug.
It gives me a "FileNotFoundException was unhandled" on line 13 of Program.cs in SceneEditor. The line is "using (SceneEditor game = new SceneEditor())".
"Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.XNA.Framework, Version=3.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=6d5c388ef60e27d' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the specified file."

The solution compiles with a few warnings, but no errors.
Jan 30, 2009 at 6:20 AM
Bryan, VS Express does not support solution folders. I do not know if this would contribute.
I am not moving files around. I am hitting build and run only. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 6:50 AM
That is weird that it can't find the XNA dll... I presume you installed XNA 3.0 to the default place and everything... You might try uninstalling then re-installing XNA 3.0. I have seen some weird issues crop up with XNA installations...

That's all I can think of to try right now... I'll be thinking about this problem more tomorrow!
Jan 30, 2009 at 7:09 AM
Hi,
 It cannot find the assembly containing SceneEditor. Maybe you can tell me which .dll name contains SceneEditor.

The error is a generic error. You will notice it says it cannot find the XNA Framework or one of its dependencies. In this case, it is one of the dependencies, the assembly that contains SceneEditor.
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Hi Jim!

The Scene Editor itself is not inside any .dll. It exists solely inside the .exe file. My best guess is still a problem with your XNA installation. I wish I could tell you something more conclusive, but I'm still rather puzzled myself.
Jan 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM
perhaps it is incompatible with Visual Studio Express?
are you able to build and run on express?

The only projects on Ox that don't run are SceneEditor and GUIEditor. The others work for me.
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2009 at 12:11 AM
Everything has been tested on both versions of Visual Studio and are working on my machines.
Feb 1, 2009 at 7:48 AM
Great! I got it all working!
There are a number of small issues that had to be fixed with the project.

First, the GuiEditor, SceneEditor, and GeneralEditor had a build configuration of "Any CPU". Since I have a 64 bit machine, this setting makes VS say, cool! Let's build him a 64 bit version! Bad! Xna is only 32 bit! Setting these back to x86 solves that, and makes the original errors I posted go away.
Next were a string of errors related to the GuiEditor, SceneEditor, and GeneralEditor's DefaultEngineConsts.xml and OxConsts.xml.
All of them need an extra ../ for the relative paths, (for example it says ../../../OxSolution etc etc and it SHOULD say ../../../../OxSolution etc etc)

After all of those fixes I can now use the 3 editors! Sweet! Can't wait to check them out!
Cheers
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM
Excellant detective work Jim! I did some searching and found this article which describe the problem precisely -

http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnhar/archive/2008/02/25/xna-framework-on-64-bit-windows.aspx

This will all be fixed in the next release :)