Couple of Questions & Thoughts

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:23 PM
So first, I'd like to thank you for sharing your engine. It looks fairly well thought out and has a decent amount of features so far. So far most of the engines I pickup are glorified rendering engines and not close to a complete "game" engine, where yours seems to be a more complete package. It's the first one I've really been interested in learning more about and working with. I had a couple of questions though.

First, is there any documentation other than the FAQ.txt in the Documentation folder? Also, are there any character based tutorials or demos?

I've been playing around with the game demo and trying to replace the ball with the PlayerMarine. So far I have the marine loading and I finally got a box collision object around him so he wouldn't roll or fall through, but it seems impossible to get him to move and he just wants to fall over. Is there a way to visualize the collision information? I've added a bounding box visualizer, but it doesn't appear to be hooked into the jiglibx primitives and my attempts to do so have failed because I don't understand your architecture fully.

I also have the marine playing his idle animation by default and switching to run when I push forward, but I suppose I need to use the crossfade rather than just play because it pops. That sort of leads me to my next question, which is about the XNAnimation library. It seems pretty simplistic compared to the Animation Component Library, which allows you to play multiple animations on different bones and also provides a nice blend controller to blend between multiple animations. XNAnimation seems to allow you to blend (crossfade), but I didn't see a way to play multiple animations on different bones. So that would mean if I want to animate the upper torso independently of the legs, then I would have a problem? It seems pretty crucial to be able to mix animations. Just imagine a shooter where you want to be able to aim and shoot with the upper torso while running, walking, strafing.Anyway, I can always integrate the other library on my own for this.

Again, thanks for this engine.
Coordinator
Feb 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your compliments!

Unfortunately, the only documentation is that which exists in the code itself :( I will be looking into writing more comprehensive documentation down the road but have no idea when I'll be able to make it a top priority.

There are no character-based demos. If you want to learn how to use JigLibX to drive a character, you should ask at their discussion page since they know better than I :) http:/www.codeplex.com/JigLibX

The Animation Component Library certainly had a lot of features but its code was so thrown together that I couldn't fully integrate it into Ox successfully in a reasonable period of time. I may try again someday, but I don't know when that will come to fruition. If you'd like to write the component to do the integration and submit it back to me, that would be great! Just realize it needs to integrate fully with Ox's lighting model and be able to cast shadows too... Basically the same integration as the XNAnimation library went through.

Good luck!
Feb 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM
ya really.  good job with this engine. this REALLY IS the most complete game engine offering that I've seen for XNA after very thorough scans of the net.  now if we can get the XNA Animation Library implemented that would be truly awesome!