create a game

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Hello Bryan,

I think Ox Game Engine is one of the best game engines for the XNA environment.

What I'm missing is a tutorial on how to start an own small game. Is there any project already done with Ox?

A short guide or tutorial would really help; maybe not only me.

Thanks a lot and keep on the good work. I just found put that you are releasing a new version: Thanks!

Best regards from Germany 

Jürgen

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM
Hi Jürgen!

If you haven't pulled down Ox's source yet, do so. In it, you will find three sample game projects - GuiDemo, PhysicsDemo, and GameDemo. They show you how to get started.

Of course, what is REALLY needed is a comprehensive "getting started" document. This is a very high priority, but Ox's development is going to be somewhat stalled until I find a job out here in California. Real life gets in the way sometimes :)

Thanks for letting me know the need for this document :) Let me know if you need anything else please :D
Apr 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Hi Bryan,

thanks for your quick answer, I'll come back with more questions :-)

Good luck for your job

Jürgen

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Cool,

the source for the engine can be downloaded under: http://oxgameengine.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/oxgameengine/

Download the GNU tarball, it's the repository packed in one tar.gz-file. It can be unpacked at least with winrar.

In the directory oxgameengine/trunk/OxSolution/ double-click on Ox.sln. If you installed MS Visual C# 2008 Express and XNA 3.0 you should be presented with the opened project.

F5 starts the GameDemo (try the spacebar...)

Have fun

Jürgen

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:48 PM
How can I change the type of camera, where is it defined? Is it possible to move the camera in DemoGame without moving the player/ball?
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2009 at 12:04 AM
Edited Apr 8, 2009 at 12:04 AM
The scripts that control the game (and the camera) are in the Scripts project in the Ox solution. More specifically, look at ExampleBall.cs.
Apr 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Hi Bryan,

Thanks again for the quick answer. I think that the camera control is in Scripts/ExamplePlayer.cs, in the PhysicsDemo the camera control is in PhysicsDemo/PhysicsDemo.cs

How can I configure the keyboard messages?

Yesterday I had a look in BEPU, another physics engine.Examples can be found here http://bepu-games.com/BEPUphysics/mediasection.htm. Are you still plannning to integrate it into Ox?

Thanks for Ox!

Jürgen

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I think I found an tiny error in the script ExamplePlayer.cs. I was wondering, why it was not possible to move the camera with the PageUp and PageDown-keys.

In the method UpdateInput the keyboardState is evaluated and on PageUp  cameraOrientation.Angle1 -= 0.01f should be executed. But in UpdateCamera there's the line 

cameraOrientation.Angle1 = cameraAngle; so the value ist overwriten each UpdateCamera. Putting the line in the constructor method ExamplePlayer before the call to CreateBody() does the magic: you can move the camera :-)

Things get clearer now.... 

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2009 at 6:40 AM
Ah sorry, ya, I meant ExamplePlayer.cs :)

I was wanting to include BEPU Physics with Ox, but since BEPU is not free for commercial games, I've decided against it. It is very easy to integrate into your game though. Just do the same thing with it as was done with JigLibX in DefaultEngine and the scripts - add a project reference to its assembly, add it as a service at start up, and use it in your game's scripts at run-time.
Apr 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Hi Bryan,

what is the best way to implement a radar or hud? Is that possible with Ox?

Thanks in advance

Jürgen

Coordinator
Apr 12, 2009 at 3:14 AM
Hi again!

It is surely possible with Ox. In fact, the difficult thing is that there are so many different ways to do it, I'm not sure which to recommend.

Let me think on it a bit more so I can give you a good starting point.
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2009 at 9:13 AM
Hi!

Sorry I've not responded yet. I've not had time to think about it in depth. I'd have to do it in order to come up with a good way. I think you're best just trying things until you find something that works.

Wish I had that time to investigate deeper into the issue for ya.