Possible Tutorial Series

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:58 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2009 at 9:00 PM
I know that you are planning on writing some documentation for the Ox engine and I was wondering how you felt about a series of small documents?

I have read tutorial series in the past and have had great luck with them. First they aren't as much initial work. Second the people you are documenting for can learn AND comment as you are writing your documentation.

It's also good for some people who are only having "Blocks" on certain parts of the engine. So as soon as their particular block is cleared they are free to continue on their merry way without having to wait for an entire documentation to be made.

Another advantage is you could have the community who already understand certain parts of the engine help(PLUS they don't have to understand the ENTIRE engine, only a certain part). So one member could know a more basic part of the engine and you are free to give documentation on the harder parts.

For example you could write a list of documents you plan on writing. e.g.

-PRETEND LIST OF TUTORIALS
*Getting started                           *Member X is working on.
*Feature 1
*Feature 2                                   *Currently Working on
*Feature 3
*Combining Feature 1 and 3
*Getting your game on XBox       *Available to work on

So if you had a list like the one above, Members could choose topics that they could possibly help on. and the work could be completed very efficiently. And then all you have to do is read over and approve/edit them.

I've just seen great things with this method and I thought you might want to hear about it. Thanks for listening to my suggestion.
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2009 at 1:20 AM
I think this is a good idea, but I don't have time to properly facilitate this right now. If I did, I'd probably just be writing the document itself :)

Hopefully I'll find employment soon so I can feel comfortable spending time on things like this :) So, if anyone wants to help me find a job, I'm at bryanedds@yahoo.com ;)
Apr 26, 2009 at 5:28 AM
Wouldn't we need to know where you live to help you find employment???
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2009 at 8:33 AM
True!

If anyone really is willing to help, I live in San Francisco, CA, but I'm willing to relocate to anywhere that there's work :)

Cheers!
Apr 26, 2009 at 8:38 AM
Edited Apr 26, 2009 at 8:39 AM
Wow ANYWHERE? that's something, I couldn't even imagine moving out of state. But that's just me I'm a sheltered Utah child I guess.....(I could imagine it for my dream job and that kind of thing, but not just for generic "Work")

I assume that you are looking for work as a Software Developer right? Sorry none of those are open at my work. I do know that we have a job opening as a Software Trainer(You'd be gone 100 days of the year, but if your ready to pack up and leave for work I assume that being gone for 100 days isn't a problem).
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2009 at 9:17 AM
Hehe, all I can say is that things are REALLY bad out here in San Francisco in terms of jobs. I actually moved out here all the way from Ohio in hopes of finding work... but nothing in two months... Amazing how thin things have gotten.

Ya, slide me an e-mail about the opening at your workplace and I'll take a good gander :)