TargetInvocationException

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM
Edited Apr 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Hi I hope that it's the correct version of code now :D
The GameDemo project was build successfully but there seems to be a runtime error immediately after compiling.
And as usual i will post a screenshot which will professionally illustrate my request :P

What I can do to resolve this problem, never saw an exception like that before.

Edit:
Okay sorry next time i will check the other threads first ^^
like this one:
http://oxgameengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=52978
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM
So did you figure out what it was?
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM
BTW, that exception there tends to happen when an exception is thrown in the constructor of a script.
Apr 28, 2009 at 3:06 PM
Do we have a general exception catcher so that we can catch exceptions and keep their stacktrace??? And donvitos, if you are not able to figure out this problem could you give a stacktrace(I don't know if it gave you one) and a detailed description of what you did?

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:38 AM, bryanedds <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

BTW, that exception there tends to happen when an exception is thrown in the constructor of a script.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (OxGameEngine@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email OxGameEngine@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM
It's easy to explain what I did.
After a re-install of the engine and the source (in hope of that it's the correct version now :P), I just opened the gameDemo project, reassigned the assemblys and tried to compile and execute the code.
Maybe I put in the wrong assemblys, I mean a different version of the assembly which actually needed.
The code is untouched so far.

btw. What is a stacktrace, never heard of it before^^
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2009 at 8:23 PM
Why would you reassign any assemblies?
Apr 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM
Stack traces are the most important thing to debugging code, especially when someone else caused the bug.

Thread [main] (Suspended (breakpoint at line 49 in NewLoanEntryViewTest))   
    NewLoanEntryViewTest.testInitialValuesAndUnsavedDataDialog() line: 49   
    NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Method, Object, Object[]) line: not available [native method]   
    NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Object, Object[]) line: 39   
    DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Object, Object[]) line: 25   
    Method.invoke(Object, Object...) line: 585   
    NewLoanEntryViewTest(TestCase).runTest() line: 154   
    NewLoanEntryViewTest(TestCase).runBare() line: 127   
    TestResult$1.protect() line: 106   
    TestResult.runProtected(Test, Protectable) line: 124   
    TestResult.run(TestCase) line: 109   
    NewLoanEntryViewTest(TestCase).run(TestResult) line: 118   
    AllJFCUnitTests$TopLevelTestSuite(TestSuite).runTest(Test, TestResult) line: 208   
    AllJFCUnitTests$TopLevelTestSuite(AllJFCUnitTests$LoggingTestSuite).runTest(Test, TestResult) line: 94   
    AllJFCUnitTests$TopLevelTestSuite(TestSuite).run(TestResult) line: 203   
    AllJFCUnitTests$TopLevelTestSuite.run(TestResult) line: 180   
    JUnit3TestReference.run(TestExecution) line: 130   
    TestExecution.run(ITestReference[]) line: 38   
    RemoteTestRunner.runTests(String[], String, TestExecution) line: 460   
    RemoteTestRunner.runTests(TestExecution) line: 673   
    RemoteTestRunner.run() line: 386   
    RemoteTestRunner.main(String[]) line: 196   

This is a stack trace from the current program I'm running, I just paused my main thread and this is telling me EVERY method that is running in that one single thread in the order of which they were called.

So at the bottom I have my main thread, it called a method named run() which then in turn called runTests(arguments). All the way to the top where it calls

NewLoanEntryViewTest))   
    NewLoanEntryViewTest.testInitialValuesAndUnsavedDataDialog()

So if an exception happened here(It didn't but IF it did) we would see where in our code was throwing an error. Also notice that it gives line numbers so that I can go straight to the code that was failing.

This is a very important thing to know when creating programs, being able to search a stack-trace is a very important skill.