Scene Editor : Adding Textures to Models

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Hello All,

I am having a bit of trouble with using assets in the scene editor. I currently create the assets in Maya and then export to .fbx. I then build the asset in the "ContentFiles" project of the Ox Engine source, take the .xnb file from Ox's bin folder, and it is ready to use in the editor. Models built this way have no idea of how they were shaded in Maya, and appear only as black outlines of the models themselves, which means they need a texture to not look horrible.

So the models need a texture. In order to export textured models, the only way I have found that works is to texture the model in Maya and then export the model and the texture separately. Then load both the texture (usually a .png) and the model (.fbx) into the ContentFiles project, build them, and take both .xnb files and put them into the editor's model folder. This occasionally works.

My Question Is:

Does anyone else use Maya to create textured models? Have you found a consistent way to get those models into the editor? Is there a way to change the texture that a model is using within the editor?

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM
Edited Sep 28, 2009 at 8:12 AM

There  was a previous post that is somewhat related, that I feel should be referred to as a possible solution:

http://oxgameengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=51642

The idea here is to just leave the texturing of the model to code. The downside of this is that in the editor that model will appear as a non-shaded blob. There is probably a better solution that I am unaware of.