Begginer Tutorial

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I have searched the web for hours, looking for a beginner tutorial for the OX Game Engine but it was useless. Can someone tell me about some tutorial? Thanks.

Editor
Jan 23, 2010 at 10:21 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2010 at 1:49 AM

First Tutorial Up!

http://www.greymatterscomic.com/oxgameengine/OxTutorial.zip

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2010 at 5:06 AM

Well done tutorial bubzy :) Can't wait to see more ;)

Couple of little suggestions about it if you don't mind :D

First about the 64-bit installation process, I've updated the Engine Overview.doc to show how to take care of the problem correctly. So, when I make the next installer that packages your tutorials, you'd need to remove that part from the tut.

Also, I wouldn't call it the 'OGE' as there are actually three editors in Ox, the Scene Editor (the one you're using), the Gui Editor (makes guis like Visual Studio), and the General Editor (allows you to generically edit the properties of any OxComponent). So, if you'd want to acronym the Scene Editor, I'd call it something like the OSE for Ox Scene Editor :)

Also, I just realized that seeing fogged anything without any light is a shader bug that I'll try to fix. So you might have them create the light first, then the terrain :)

Finally, any idea why the screen shots are in like 16 color?

Great job and massive thanks!!!

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2010 at 5:40 AM

Okay, got the fogging bug fixed. Will definitely want them to create the light first from now on.

No idea why it took me so long to realize that the fogging could be unlit :)

Cheers!

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2010 at 5:59 AM

As to -

Possible incorrect operation by me here but i have to set the “Copy to Output Directory” to “Copy if newer” so ill post the screenshot if you experience an error when compiling if this parameter is not set.

This looks to be correct, but a sad complication non-the-less. Visual Studio really makes it easy to do thing incorrectly, especially for new users... :(

*sigh*

Editor
Jan 24, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Done :) thanks for the suggestions. once ive ironed out a few little problems with my coding ill post a little interactive tutorial with "things" in it :)

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Well done Bubzy;

Nice nice nice, we want more, more more more pleaaaaaaaaaaase!!!

Thanks again.

Editor
Jan 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Still working through some functionality, but im going to try and make an "arkanoid" style game with tutorial so watch this space. :)

Coordinator
Jan 29, 2010 at 3:49 AM

sounds fantastic, bubzy! can't wait :)

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:01 PM

I look forward to it Bubzy!!!

Editor
Jan 31, 2010 at 7:31 PM

the game is 90% complete so ill just reverse engineer it now and write down what ive done for all to see :D probably done within the week :)

May 5, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Bubzy, that link is no longer working. Is the tutorial still around?

May 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I acutally got a copy of that. It doesn't compile on my machine against the current builds (public and SVN) but it didnt matter to me, The code was useful.

I was under the impression this aspect of the project was discontinued.

The physics demo was a decent jumping off point. It available in the Svn verison.

Hope that helps.

Editor
May 8, 2010 at 7:27 AM

got a busy weekend this weekend, if i manage to get a few minutes spare ill update it. :)

Editor
May 8, 2010 at 8:17 AM

http://greymatterscomic.com/oxgameengine/Oxtutorialrelease70.zip

try this, no documentation at the moment, just something i smashed out this morning. let me know if youi';re having problems with it, this should work with the recent stable release 70 :)

thanks

-bubzy

May 8, 2010 at 8:25 AM
sweet buzby. Ill check it out.

:)

To: [email removed]
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 00:17:39 -0700
Subject: Re: Begginer Tutorial [OxGameEngine:81792]

http://greymatterscomic.com/oxgameengine/Oxtutorialrelease70.zip

try this, no documentation at the moment, just something i smashed out this morning. let me know if youi';re having problems with it, this should work with the recent stable release 70 :)

thanks
-bubzy
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (OxGameEngine@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email OxGameEngine@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com